“US Route 395 is one of the main north/south highways in southern California providing access to and linking economic centers, recreational areas, and urban and rural regions,” according to the San Bernardino County Transportation Authority. Widening Highway 395 through Adelanto focuses on making a dangerous stretch of roadway safer, as well as improving travel times and relieving congestion along the corridor.
The scope of the project goes beyond simply adding lanes. It also includes:
- A new traffic signal at Seneca Road, leaving a dedicated turning lane for northbound traffic to turn left.
- Additional traffic signals at Mojave Drive to allow for two through lanes in each direction.
- Reconfiguration of Holly Road to only allow motorists to turn right from Holly Road on to US 395.
- Modification of Ranch Road to include ADA requirements, along with adding pedestrian signals.
- Widening Air Base Road to two lanes in each direction and adding ADA improvements and new signal polls.
The I-215 University Parkway project is another infrastructure project that aims to reduce delays and improve freeway access. Construction reconfigures the existing interchange at that location to address congestion and heavy traffic to and from the California State University at San Bernardino campus.